Image Map

Friday, August 19, 2011

July Dinner Party

I do realize that I have not posted in a few weeks and that I am posting the July party in mid-August. I am sorry- I have been neglectful, and I will try my best to be a better blogger! Now back to the food…

Appetizer- Anasaazi Bean Dip Boats (p. 51 Tall Timber Resort Durango, CO)


I had assumed when I saw the title that this would be a mashed bean dip, but when I got ready to make it I was surprised to see that it would be whole beans (I guess I was imagining it very 7-layer dip style). The beans were combined with onion, peppers and spices and then topped with a lime sour cream and that was topped with a homemade red chile pesto. The pesto was quite interesting (a nice way for saying odd- it was spices blended with some brandy- really odd for a pesto) but when you put all 3 components together it was really good. Perhaps not quite as good as Mom’s traditional 7 layer Tex-Mex dip, but pretty close.

Soup- Cream of Green Chile Soup (p. 87 Café Central in El Paso, TX)


With this soup, we were back to phenomenal flavors. Andrew says that I just set the bar so high with that first black bean soup, others have had a hard time measuring up. But this one did. It had a really mellow green chile and garlic flavor- so delicious! And it was so thick and smooth!

Entrée- Stuffed Chicken Mole (p. 127, from Coyote Grill in Scottsdale, AZ)
Side- Corn Risotto (p. 201, from Terra Cotta in Tucson, AZ)


This chicken was really good. It was a little unusual in that it was stuffed with things that I normally think of as Italian ingredients- prosciutto, basil, roasted red peppers, but also pepper jack cheese. That was all baked in the middle of the chicken breast, slathered in a (semi) homemade mole sauce. There were many ingredients in the sauce, but one of them was a jar of prepared red mole sauce, hence the (semi) homemade label. It was good. It was also a very pretty presentation when sliced and fanned out on rice with extra sauce.

The corn risotto was one of the best recipes that we have had this whole year. It was not what I expected- when I saw risotto I did not expext it to be covered in cheese and baked until bubbly. But the creamy corn under that delicious layer of cheese was so creamy and flavorful. This one will be seen again soon in the kitchen.

Dessert- Peach, Chile and Basil Tart (p. 215, from Roaring Fork in Scottsdale, AZ)


This was an interesting one. Clearly- peaches basil and hot chills are not normally what you would imagine going together well. But they do! Not sure if I did anything wrong, but my tart was a little too juicy, so it did not hold together well and kinda oozed on the plate, but it was still really yummy! Oh, and the vanilla ice cream really brought it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment