Image Map

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Camping Food Ideas!

Last month we went camping up in Utah. It was my first time actually “setting up a tent and sleeping outdoors” kind of camping. I tend to like roughing it in a nicely furnished cabin. However, anytime there are s’mores involved, you can always count me in!



What I learned about camping is you really have to plan ahead, as far as food is concerned. I was out of my element, but I did find a neat recipe (Paula Deen, no less) for these make-ahead packs to grill over the campfire. Really simple hamburger patties (that I stuffed with cheese) and potato and onion slices, topped with butter and wrapped in foil. I was really proud of myself until Andrew and his brother Brian informed me they are commonly known as “Hobo Packs” in the boy scouts and not anything new or exciting. I was glad that I had jazzed them up a bit with the stuffed cheese, some Southwestern spices and I brought an avocado to eat with them, which was really well received. I will definitely make them again for the next trip- they are easy to make ahead, freeze and just throw in the cooler. (Did the same thing with some spicy breakfast burritos and everyone loved it!)





Here is the basic recipe:
1 pound ground beef
Salt and pepper
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 large baking potato, thinly sliced
Margarine or butter
Form the meet into 4 ½ inch think patties. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Lay each patty on a large square of aluminum foil. Top each with a few slices of onion and potato. Top with a generous Tablespoon of margarine or butter and add more salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in the foil, rolling ends to seal the package. Freeze or refrigerate. Pack in coolers.
When ready to eat, place packages directly in coals and cook for about 15- 20 minutes. Check to see if meat is cooked through: rewrap and cook longer if necessary.



What is great about this recipe is you are able to really jazz it up with any kind of seasonings or additional toppings (maybe sun dried tomatoes, basil and prosciutto) that can really give the packs some extra flavor and still be super simple to take with you. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment