Image Map

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Mexican Market

In the spirit of not only giving y’all my Southern roots, but authentic Southwest flavors as well, I decided to explore my local Mexican markets. There are quite a few here in Las Vegas- the first that Andrew and I went to was Las Palmas, and it was not much bigger that a local 7-11, and was also similar as far as the local clientele. But they seemed to have great produce, what little there was. Next, we headed to Mariana’s, which is more of a Mexican supermarket, although it is locally owned. This place was huge and had an amazing variety of products. Not being from Mexico, I am not sure it they had everything you could ever need, but I would imagine so.


We went on a Sunday morning, and let me tell you, this place was packed! You literally had to wedge yourself through the people, especially around the produce areas and meat counter. And the produce was amazing. I think people may have gotten annoyed at the silly white girl slowing things down by taking goofy pictures, but other that a few frowns and rolling of eyes, it was no big deal. The meat counter offered all kinds of meats you can not really get at your local Smith’s- cow tongue, pig and chicken feet, tripe… But they also had some amazing looking carne asada and chorizo. The bakery was also pretty fabulous. I picked up some churros- stay tuned for what I put together with those!!!

The only thing that concerned me was that the produce department, as well as the meat counter, seemed to be buzzing not only with the hustle and bustle energy of excited patrons, but with flies as well. A lot of flies. They kind of grossed me out. But perhaps that was just part of the authenticity. I have asked around and have gotten more recommendations for Mexican markets, so I will follow up on those. Overall, Marianna’s was a great experience, and the first place I will head to get Mexican products.



1 comment: