Image Map

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Award Winning Empanadas!

After mentioning my Paula Deen experience with the Real Women of Philadelphia in my last blog post, I thought I should explain a little for anyone who didn’t know what it was all about. I entered an online competition (it was considered a “talent search” and not a “cooking contest”) by submitting videos of myself preparing recipes with Philadelphia Cream Cheese. I was chosen as one of 16 finalists and flown to Savannah for one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Here is the clip from the awards show about the appetizer cook off:



The other finalists were amazing women and I am so blessed to have them all as friends now. We were treated like royalty- we stayed at the only 5 star hotel in Savannah, we went to all the best restaurants (Paula’s of course, but also some fancy- schmancy ones), we were driven around in a caravan of black SUV’s with tinted windows and bodyguards dressed in all black, and we got a private tour of Savannah that included Paula’s home. Of course we got to hang out with the fabulous Paula Deen a couple of times- she is the funniest, most gracious and down-to-earth person I have ever met. I was so impressed with who she is. It truly was the experience of a lifetime and I am so blessed that I got to be a part of it!




Anyway, here is the recipe for my "award winning" (or at least finalist level) Empanadas, if anyone wants to try them:
(Brandon, Paula’s personal style guru- he designed the set, her new line of furniture and co-authored Paula’s latest style book- he said they were “like crack”- meaning delicious and addictive- so be careful!)

Spicy Breakfast Empanadas:
1 lb. hot pork sausage
8 oz. cream cheese
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 tsp Paula’s House Seasoning
1 tsp cumin
1 can refrigerated jumbo biscuits
4 oz. cream cheese
½ cup sour cream
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
½ tsp garlic salt

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a cookie sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet, over medium- high heat, cook sausage, crumbling into small pieces. Once cooked through, drain fat. Add cream cheese to sausage and stir until melted. Add Rotel tomatoes, House Seasoning and cumin. Stir to combine.
3. Open can of biscuits; separate raw biscuits into 2 halves. Flatten with your hands to make larger. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of sausage mixture onto center of biscuit. Fold biscuit in half and seal by pressing seam together. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving with Chipotle Cream.

Chipotle Cream: In a small saucepan combine cream cheese, sour cream, chipotle peppers and garlic salt. Cook over medium heat until cream cheese is melted and all ingredients are combined.

1 comment:

  1. Stacy, I hate you.
    Mostly because I can't stop thinking about food when I look at your page. Your hubby turns food that I'd never eat into some sort of thing that I'd have to confess to a priest over. So proud of you for winning. :-)
    cheers

    ReplyDelete