Image Map

Thursday, April 28, 2011

April Dinner Party

Appetizer- Garlic Sautéed Lobster Medallions with Corn Blinis and Ancho Crème Fraiche (from Heartline Café in Sedona, AZ- p. 59)



Sounds very fancy, and was- sorta. The lobster got smushed, because the recipe said to slice it raw, then sauté, so it lost its shape. I think if I had cooked it then sliced it, it would have been round and looked better. But the lobster was placed on small corn pancakes that were spicy but also a little sweet. And it was served with a cream sauce blended with dried ancho chile. Very tasty, even if didn’t look as amazing as I thought it would.

Soup- Shiner Bock Barbecue Onion Soup (from Roaring Fork in Scottsdale, AZ- p. 92)



This soup was a man’s man soup- beer, bacon and onions. It was amazingly delicious. That is really all I can say about it.

Entrée- Honey-Cilantro Rack of Lamb (from House of Tricks in Tempe, AZ- p. 158)
Side- Chorizo Potatoes with Ancho-Chile Tomato Sauce (from House of Tricks in Tempe, AZ- p.200)



I was super nervous for the lamb because 2 people eating the dinner didn’t actually like lamb. So I bought the lamb frenched (with the bones sticking out), then I sprinkled it with spices, seared the sides and roasted until done. Then I brushed it with honey and rolled it in chopped fresh cilantro. Success, because everyone liked it!

The potatoes were not my favorite. The sauce was made with tomatoes and ancho chilies (as the name says) and was blended together, with cooked chorizo sausage added in. So it was very similar to a marinara sauce but with Southwest flavors, and then poured over tiny potatoes. It was just kind of odd combination- tomato sauce with potatoes.

Dessert- Caramelized Lemon Tart (from Soleil in Tucson, AZ- p.231)



For this, I made a homemade lemon curd (lemon juice, sugar and egg yolks cooked and then butter is added and it is chilled), which I put in small tart shells (made with pre-made pie dough) and sprinkled it with sugar and used my crème brulee torch to caramelize the sugar and make a crunchy layer on top. It was a great combination of creamy lemon curd with the crispy caramelized sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment